|We just can’t get enough of these insanely good-looking baskets. And their uses are INFINITE. Houseplants, herbs, wooden spoons, colouring pencils… Or simply sitting and looking rather handsome in your home. The only limit is your imagination. What’s in your kiondo?
Kiondo is the name given to the traditional hand-woven baskets native to the Kamba and Kikuyu tribes of Kenya. Mifuko baskets follow the sleek Scandinavian design principals of their Finnish founders. But don’t be fooled – their roots lie firmly in the red soils of Kenya. It is here that they are handwoven in small, rural women’s self-help groups.
Mifuko, which means ‘pocket’ in Swahili, brings a fair wage to over 600 Kenyan women, enabling mothers to invest in their farms and in their children’s education. Each basket brings joy to its maker and adds a little more to each of their ‘pockets’.
- Sold as a set of 3 only. Each set includes XS, S and M.
- Available in 4 colours: sunny yellow; bright orange; light blue; light green.
- Size (height x diameter):
- XS - 16 x 15 cm
- S - 21 x 24 cm
- M - 28 x 30 cm
- Material: sisal and partly recycled food grade plastic
- Care: easy to wipe clean (and not afraid of the odd splash of water).